Band Camp and More!
STUDENTS AND PARENTS PLEASE READ….
CHARMS will be vital to us this year. We will not be posting the majority of information on FB so do not use this as your top reference.
· Log onto charms and fill in ALL areas for the student along with two adults who we can contact in case of emergency.
· Please list all telephone numbers. Home, work and cell
· Check email addresses
· Be sure to have charms.com listed in your email contact list so emails will not be put inyour junk folders.
· Fill out instrument information
· Fill out medical information. This is located in the documents folder
· Fill out media forms. (Two forms) These are located in the documents folder
· Fill out the social media forms . These are located in the documents folder
· For more information logging on to charms visit www.hhsbands.org/charms
· Please do not ask the band directors to update your information. Unfortunately we are busy with band camp as well as school preparations.
If you have problems logging onto charms you will need to contact Ms. Cox (Crystal.Cox@cpschools.com) or Mr. Maskew (Barron.Maskew@cpschools.com) and ask them to reset your account. Please include your student ID Number or we cannot reset the account.
Marching Band – Text the number 81010 and text the message: @hickorymb
Fall Percussion (2016-2017) – Text the number 81010 and text the message: @hhsbandfp
Fall Guard (2016-2017) – Text the number 81010 and text the message: @hickoryfg
Marching Band Committees (field, clean, etc.) – Text the number 81010 and text the message: @mbcommit
Band Camp Schedule
Monday August 13 ALL MEMBERS 8:00-5:00 Lunch is 12:30-1:30
Tuesday August 14 ALL MEMBERS 8:00-5:00 Lunch is 12:30-1:30
Wednesday August-15 ALL MEMBERS 8:00-5:00 Lunch is 12:30-1:30
Thursday August 16- ALL MEMBERS 8:00-5:00 Lunch is 12:30-1:30
Friday August 17 ALL MEMBERS 8:00-5:00 Lunch is 12:30-1:30
Monday August 20 ALL MEMBERS 8:00-5:00 Lunch is 12:30-1:30
Tuesday August 21 ALL MEMBERS 8:00-5:00 Lunch is 12:30-1:30
Wednesday August 22 ALL MEMBERS 8:00-5:00 Lunch is 12:30-1:30
Thursday August 23 ALL MEMBERS 8:00-5:00 Lunch is 12:30-1:30
Friday August 24 ALL MEMBERS 8:00-5:00 Lunch is 12:30-1:30
Dinner will be provided for the students on the 24th before the parent preview.
Kona Ice will be available for $4.
Parent preview will begin at 6:00PM.
Monday August 27 ALL MEMBERS 5:00-9:00PM
Tuesday August 28 ALL MEMBERS 5:00-8:00PM
Wednesday August 29 ALL MEMBERS 5:00-9:00PM
Reminders for students and what to bring to Band Camp.
- Instrument (Guard bring all guard equipment)
- Music in a 1-inch binder with sheet protectors.
- Wear comfortable athletic shoes with a good arch and socks. DO NOT WEAR YOUR BEST KICKS OUT TO THE MARCHING FIELD!!! Wear shoes that you are okay with getting dirty! (No sandals or flip flops) Bring extra socks!
- Wear light colored clothing. (Shorts, tanks and t-shirts) This will help you stay a little cooler by reflecting heat and sunlight. Choose fabrics that breathe. NO JEANS or LONG PANTS (Must comply with CPS Dress Code Rules.. so no bare belly)
- Sunscreen! Sunscreen! Sunscreen! (Sunscreen is important! Know the differences between a chemical and physical/mineral sunscreen. If you break out from regular sunscreens you may want to go with a physical sunscreen such as Bare (Found at Target)
- Bring a hat or something to cover your head. Hats help protect your scalp from sunburn as well as absorb sweat and provide shade.
- Sunglasses. Protect your eyes with sunglass that provide UV Protection! Sunglasses strap are a good idea as well.
- Lip Balm with SPF.
- Water Jug with water. Yes, we will have Gatorade available during our break, however if we have a GUSH and GO, you will want the water on the sideline! Please do not share water jugs. Make sure your name is on the jug.
- HYDRATE, HYDRATE, HYDRATE!!
HYDRATE FIRST THING IN THE MORNING WHEN YOU WAKE UP
HYDRATE DURING BREAKS
HYDRATE DURING LUNCH
HYDRATE DURING SECTIONALS
HYDRATE WHEN YOU GO HOME
HYDRATE BEFORE YOU GO TO BED
PUT YOUR NAME ON THE WATER JUG!!!!!
- Food! If you are staying on campus for lunch make sure to pack a lunch. Lunch is from 11:30-12:30. If you cannot drive and going off campus with someone can, please have your parents send mea note of who you are riding with and that you have permission to leave. Send emails to Crystal.Cox@cpschools.com
Eat- Sandwiches, Fruits, Vegetables (Healthy)
DO NOT EAT- GREASY FOODS, SUGAR, Large amounts of CANDY
BRING EXTRA SNACKS FOR A QUICK PICK ME UP!!!!
- EAT BREAKFAST! Please eat a healthy breakfast and try to stay away from dairy. PLEASE EAT SOMETHING! Stick with Fruits, Breads, etc.… a meal with substance, but no dairy! Students who get dizzy in the morn sessions often have not had a proper breakfast. Do not let this be you!
Remember!! Why? Dairy does not mix well with heat and often makes another appearance in the middle of the marching field (If you get what we mean)
13. Bring extra clothes and a towel. Why? We may get caught in the rain, besides you can sit on your towel during breaks.
14. Guard – it is suggested that you have a fanny pack to keep everything you need to learn drill.
- Start Now! Start getting acclimated to the weather now, so go outside and get in the sun!
- Start Now! Start practicing at least 15 minutes a day!
- Hydrate! Get used to drinking more water.
- Arrive before 8:00. Remember 8:00 is our start time!
- Pay attention and remain positive. It will be hot outside, but if you lose focus or become negative, it can make for a long day and really isn’t fun for the neighbors you are marching with. Keep positive and make it a fun day!
- Participate in the spirit days! It is a great way to bond with your section and it shows great spirit!
- Keep your cool! Some of the drill may be difficult, but keep a positive attitude, ask questions of your instructors and we will find a way to help you. Don’t get frustrated. Remember all of your instructors have been in your shoes and know the best way to help you. If you don’t understand the concept right away, that is okay. We know with repetition you will!
- Know Rehearsal Etiquette. Keep talking to a minimum and move quickly when we are resetting. Knowing rehearsal etiquette can make everything work smoothly for the band and shows professionalism.
- Make new friends. Take this opportunity to meet new people! You will have life long friends!
- Put in the effort! Make personal goals everyday and work towards achieving them. (Example- perfecting a difficult musical passage, holding up brass instruments at proper angle, perfecting your posture)
- Join in spirit days!! Monday August 13th– USA Day, Tuesday August 14-Section selection, Wednesday August 15- Decade Day, Thursday August 16- Section Selection, Friday August 17- Hawaiian Day, Monday August 20-Movie/Vine Day, Tuesday August 21- Section Selection, Wednesday August 22- Section Color Day, Thursday August 23- Senior Shirt Day, Friday August 24- Freshmen Show Shirt Day.
- Thank those who help you. Whether it is a section leader, upperclassmen, or band parent volunteer. Take the time to thank them for their help. Everyone works really hard to make this a fine program. Thank you is so easy to say, and often not said enough! =)
- Make your section the best! Work hard to make each and every section the best it can be. Never talk negatively about another section. You do not know what their workload is like. Do not assume it is easier than your own. Be positive and build each other up!